I love these English language signs showing their age from Nakazato Shugoro Hanshi’s dojo in Okinawa:
Morality of “Karate”
1. Ideal of “Karate” is to cultivate noble character and conducts,
and the virtue of modesty and courtesy.
2. “No forestalling in Karate.”
Karate is the military arts for self-defence to protect and preserve
your life, and never to attach others on your own initiative.
3. “Perseverance is the root of all the conducts.”
True patience lies in bearing what is unbearable!
4. Put back your hands when you are full of fight, and retract your
fight when your hands itch to deal a blow.
5. “Softness is unity.” “Strength is unity.”
The ultimate object of human beings should be coexistence and co-prosperity in “Peace”.
6. Avoid the fights and quarrels eve if you were dared to.
Manners and directions for trainees of Nakazato Karate Gym
1. Should keep to the rules of this Gym, and never be self-righteous.
2. Should observe decorum towards your trainers and superiors and also
towards your equals. Should always be courteous to each other and
strive to cultivate the virtue of modesty.
3. Should endeavour to cultivate perseverance, sound body and the indomitable
spirit by training, not the tricks of Karate.
4. Should endeavour after: (1) elevation of your soul, (2) formation of
your character, (3) peaceful self-defense.
5. Should always be prudent in conducts, and should never provoke a
quarrel being concieted of karate.
6. In training Karate, practice form and triks oderly, “One by one”,
“Step by step”, and increase your training time and strength gradually.
Do not carry out a rigorous exercise from the beginning.
7. Use Makiwara (punching board) and other training goods habitually in
order to harden the fists and other part of your body. Practice each
of your kata and Kumite (forms of Karate) repeatedly.
8. It has been said from the old time that it take at least three years
to master a single form completely, and consequently, unlimited time
be needed to master all forms and variations of the tricks of Karate.
Should never be self-concieted. Self-conciet will prevent your progress,
and will be mischieveous to society.
9. Practice each and every form of Karate orderly and evenly so as not to
make a strong and weak point.
10. Ask your trainers and seniors whatever questions you may have, and
solve your questions and problems on all such occasions.